[Backgroundrb-devel] Triggering a long running task twice while it is already running

hemant gethemant at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 21:03:48 EST 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 7:48 PM, Eric Pugh
<epugh at opensourceconnections.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>  I have a process that "clusters" tagged data using the Ruby Cluster
>  Gem...  It takes ~3 minutes to doing the clustering process, so
>  backgroundrb is a life saver!  However, I have found that if I attempt
>  to ask for another run of the cluster worker while it is already
>  running, I get a "Not able to connect" error message...
>  Does that sound like the correct behavior?  Do I need to manage when I
>  call the ask_worker?
>  Eric

Are you starting new workers for each task? You can perhaps use
inbuilt thread_pool for queuing up tasks.
Also, there were some problems while writing to the socket hence if
possible upgrade to latest version available from gitorious using:

git clone git://gitorious.org/backgroundrb/mainline.git backgroundrb

Once 1.0.3 release has been tested by users, I will update the SVN
mirrors to reflect latest code. Also, for using git version, I have
put together some documentation here on: