[Backgroundrb-devel] Canceling work...

John Wells lists at sourceillustrated.com
Wed Feb 20 14:32:22 EST 2008

On Feb 20, 2008 2:22 PM, hemant <gethemant at gmail.com> wrote:

> But later we changed the code and we thought when you invoke
> delete_worker, your worker should exit immediately and request to kill
> a worker shouldn't be queued.
> In current code, apart from executing "delete_worker" another way to
> kill workers is to call "exit" from inside of a worker. This will give
> you opportunity to do proper cleanup and stuff.
> I am not sure, if this is what you want, but "delete_worker" is like
> "kill -9 " of unix.
> So, if you want to handle graceful exit, call exit from worker code
> itself.

Thanks for your reply.

So how would I be able to signal to the worker that it should call exit? I
guess that is the challenge. The worker is involved in a large batch job,
and I need to be able to send a message to it to tell it to kill itself. I
had hacked out an approach using both a database table in which it would
check for the existence of a certain row, and if there remove and kill
itself, but I wondered if the framework itself provided a better way?

Also, assuming I just continue to use delete_worker in the way I am today,
is there any way possible to delete the last status the worker reported?

Thanks for your help!