[Backgroundrb-devel] Canceling work...

hemant gethemant at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 14:22:45 EST 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 11:50 PM, John Wells
<lists at sourceillustrated.com> wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2008 12:59 PM, John Wells <lists at sourceillustrated.com> wrote:
> >

> > This seems to work, but there are a few undesired things left dangling, as
> I haven't found a way to "catch" the delete request and do a cleanup.
> Assuming this is impossible, is there any way to clear the last status
> registered by the worker with register_status if that worker is deleted?
> >
> > And, is the above the proper way of cancelling work?
> >
> > Thanks very much for your help!
> >
> Sorry to bump my own message, but I'm still very interested in learning if
> I'm approaching the above properly, and if there's a way to clear a worker's
> status when that worker is deleted.

Hmm, No problems. The way you are deleting/canceling running workers
is correct. But apparently, you want a callback, which
should be invoked when worker dies, so you can cleanup stuff.

Now, unfortunately this means that like all requests, request to kill
a worker must be handled by the worker itself, but
if a worker is going to handle a request to kill itself ( in another
words calls "exit" from inside worker code ), then when you invoke:

and worker is doing some processing then worker won't handle
delete_worker request until its done with processing whatever its
That was how "delete_worker" used to work earlier. I mean when you
invoke delete_worker it used to invoke "exit" method on worker and
worker used to exit as usual.

But later we changed the code and we thought when you invoke
delete_worker, your worker should exit immediately and request to kill
a worker shouldn't be queued.

In current code, apart from executing "delete_worker" another way to
kill workers is to call "exit" from inside of a worker. This will give
you opportunity to do proper cleanup and stuff.
I am not sure, if this is what you want, but "delete_worker" is like
"kill -9 " of unix.

So, if you want to handle graceful exit, call exit from worker code itself.