[Backgroundrb-devel] monitoring the server

George Feil gfeil at realgirlsmedia.com
Fri Feb 15 12:24:03 EST 2008

First, some good news: after a few fits, starts, and configuration
tweaks, we've succeeded in deploying BackgrounDRb onto our production
machines, where we're using itto perform cache expiration on our Rails
generated pages. [We're using v1.0.1 code at the moment, but plan to
upgrade to 1.0.3 in the next week or two.] We use an event driven model
for expiration, which is triggered by observers in our Rails

However, we're concerned about robustness, and would like to set up some
monitoring tools. In particular, we'd like to keep tabs on things like:

*	total number of threads allocated
*	number of active worker threads
*	duration of currently active threads (to help identify hung

Are there any good examples of monitor workers that do this now? What
sort of statistics API's are available? I didn't see anything obvious in
the RDoc for this.

George Feil | Senior Software Engineer

office 415.295.8524 | fax 415.295.8580