[Backgroundrb-devel] BacgroundRB - Getting started question

Sanjay Tibrewal stibrewal at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 23:04:30 EST 2008

Resending this message - I sent it earlier in the day and I still don't see
it show up on the mailing list.

Thanks.

Hello Folks,

I have been trying to get backgroundrb running on my Win XP box to
periodically wakeup and run a worker function. I wrote a test Worker class
as below and my backgroundrb.yml is included below. I can start backgroundrb
successfully through commondline (ruby script/backgroundrb/start) but I
don't see any output in my backgroundrb.log - I would expect the "Hello"
string in the log every 5 secs.

The first question I have is, whether what I am doing even supported on
Windows? Reason I ask is because I saw a post from a few months back saying
something to the effect that forking doesn't happen on Windows (a reply
email from Hemant) so not sure how that affects what I am trying to do.

The follow up question, if the answer to the first one is yes it is
supported, is what am I doing wrong here?

Appreciate any pointers/help.

Thanks,
Sanjay.

class NehronWorker < BackgrounDRb::Rails
  #set_worker_name :nehron_worker
  def create
    puts "Creating NehronWorker"
  end
  def do_work(args)
    # This method is called in it's own new thread when you
    # call new worker. args is set to :args
    puts "Hello"
  end

  def printhelloinloop(teststr="Hello2")