[Backgroundrb-devel] Getting started

hemant gethemant at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 17:14:16 EST 2008

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 3:36 AM, Richard Everhart
<rich.everhart at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm just getting started with Backgroundrb and I'm having a lot of
>  problems.  First of all, whenever I try to start or execute a worker I
>  get the following error:
>
>  BackgrounDRb::BdrbConnError (Not able to connect):
>     .//vendor/plugins/backgroundrb/lib/backgroundrb.rb:47:in `new_worker'
>     .//app/controllers/testdrb_controller.rb:13:in `do_fib'
>     /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.3/lib/action_controller/base.rb:1095:in
>  `send'
>  [...snip...]
>
>  I'm using rails version 1.2.6 and ruby 1.8.6.  My backgroundrb.yaml
>  looks like this:
>  ---
>  :backgroundrb:
>   :port: 11006
>   :ip: 0.0.0.0
>
>  I am starting the server for my app first and then running
>  'script/backgroundrb start' afterwards.  I'm just testing out
>  backgroundrb to get a feel of it so my app is pretty simple.  A number
>  is selected from a drop down and the user presses a 'go' button
>  causing the worker to calculate the selected number's fibonacci number
>  (just needed something long running).
>
>  Any help much appreciated.

You are running trunk version of library right? Also, probably bdrb
server is not starting up for you. So make sure, backgroundrb server
is running.
I have collected some best practices for getting up and running with bdrb.

http://gnufied.org/2008/02/12/backgroundrb-best-practises/