[Backgroundrb-devel] Problems running backgroundrb

hemant kumar gethemant at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 05:03:35 EST 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 00:55 -0800, Alex Soto wrote:
> does require 'lib/formatters' work?
>

> On Feb 10, 2008, at 10:11 PM, John Wells wrote:
>
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > New to backgroundrb, and I like it very much conceptually, but I'm
> > struggling to get it to run successfully. I started with trunk, but
> > was getting a very strange gem require error when starting a worker
> > (though it wasn't telling me which gem was missing)....see here:
> > http://pastie.caboo.se/150225

Its not complaining about any missing gems, rather its not able to load
workers defined inside lib/workers directory. You must define at least
one worker, before you can start bdrb. In case, you have already defined
a worker, Can we have a look at the code of your worker?

> > So I rolled back to the release 1.0.1 tag but had different problems
> > there. I have my own "acts_as"  plugin that's required in my
> > environment.rb....it's stored in lib/formatters.rb. However,
> > backgroundrb complains about it not being there in startup:
> >
> > $ script/backgroundrb start
> >
> > /home/jb/workspace/ruby/eqnow_dev/vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/
> > active_record/base.rb:1238:in
> > `method_missing': undefined method `acts_as_phone_formatter' for
> > Event:Class (NoMethodError)
> >        from /home/jb/workspace/ruby/eqnow_dev/app/models/event.rb:45
> >        from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:
> > 27:in
> > `gem_original_require'
> >        from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:
> > 27:in
> > `require'
> >        from /home/jb/workspace/ruby/eqnow_dev/vendor/rails/
> > activerecord/lib/../../activesupport/lib/active_support/
> > dependencies.rb:495:in
> > `require'
> >        from /home/jb/workspace/ruby/eqnow_dev/vendor/rails/
> > activerecord/lib/../../activesupport/lib/active_support/
> > dependencies.rb:342:in
> > `new_constants_in'

Well, looks like you have a model Event defined in your app. 1.0.1
release tag has a bug where require statements in bdrb aren't relative
and since bdrb comes with its own Event class, its conflicting.

This has been fixed in trunk version of plugin and all the requires are
relative, hence, revert back to trunk and create few workers and see if
it works. Also, try creating a new rails project and try using bdrb
there, it will give you some further information.

> > It's definitely there in my config/environment.rb:
> >
> > require 'formatters'
> >
> > My backgroundrb.yml looks like:
> >
> > ---
> > :backgroundrb:
> >  :ip: localhost
> >  :port: 11006
> >  :environment: development

That environment string is redundant since, by default bdrb will load
development environment anyways.