[Backgroundrb-devel] What happens if?

hemant kumar gethemant at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 09:29:34 EST 2008

Hi
On Sun, 2008-02-10 at 14:54 +0200, Cosmin Radoi wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm new to the list so I'd like to first greet everybody and thank
> Ezra for the nice solution to an old problem.
>
> I also have a warm-up newbie question. What happens if I send a
> request to a worker that in that moment is working on some other talk?
> Does it wait for the worker to finish his current method and than
> evaluate my request, does it interrupt the worker to handle the
> request or does it simply spawn another thread for it?
> Thanks.

If you invoke ask_work on a worker thats already processing a task( in a
totally blocking manner ), then your request will be queued in master
process send_data buffer, until your worker is free and ready to remove
the data ready at the socket and start executing next task.

Since bdrb makes use of non blocking IO and select call to check for
availability of data at the socket, assuming your worker is doing some
processing because of which reactor loop is not able to run through next
iteration ( in each iteration it checks if there is data to be read from
the socket ), your request will be queued up in socket buffer. For
couple of requests this fine, but if you are making too many requests
and your requests are getting queued in socket buffer, its not a good.

However, if you are processing too many tasks and want to spawn a thread
for them, you can rather use inbuilt, "thread_pool" to defer execution
of tasks to a pool of threads. It works nicely and will probably work
better than roll your own thread solution.

For more information refer the README file or documentation here at:

http://backgroundrb.rubyforge.org

Finally in no case, a running tasks gets interrupted.