[Backgroundrb-devel] followup on another cron scheduling issue

Tom Wood thomas.a.wood at uconn.edu
Thu Feb 7 12:25:19 EST 2008

About a week ago I mailed a question to the list about a cron scheduling
problem (worker running on an non-scheduled day) ... I have little bit
more information on this problem (but no patch, sorry! :-)

Am running 1.0.1 + Meng Kuan's recent patch to cron_trigger.rb.

I have a worker scheduled ala:

  :debugger_worker:

    :ping:

      :trigger_args: 0 0/5 09-17 * * 1,3,5 *

(in other words, run every 5 minutes between 9a - 5p on Mon/Wed/Fri.)

Here's what happened:

Correct: The worker ran correctly every 5 minutes on Friday, 9a - 5p.

Incorrect: It ran once on Saturday at 9a, but did not run again that
day.

Correct: It did not run on Sunday.

Correct: It ran every 5 minutes on Monday, 9a - 5p.

Incorrect: It ran once on Tuesday at 9a, and did not yet run again that
day.

Correct: Ran every 5 minutes on Wednesday, 9a - 5p

Incorrect: Ran once on Thursday at 9a, and did not run again that day.

Seems like the scheduler schedules one errant run on the first "off day"
after an "on day."

-Tom

Tom Wood

thomas.a.wood at uconn.edu <mailto:thomas.a.wood at uconn.edu>