[Backgroundrb-devel] configuration issues

Ian Smith-Heisters heisters at greenriver.org
Wed Feb 6 22:02:29 EST 2008

Hah! I've been hacking around this for hours today.

My old solution was something like this in config/backgroundrb.yml:
=============
<%
  ports = {
    'development' => 2000,
    'production' => 2001,
    'demo' => 2002,
    'sandbox' => 2003
  }
%>
---
:backgroundrb:
  :port: <%= ports[ENV['RAILS_ENV']] %>
  :environment: <%= ENV['RAILS_ENV'] %>
  :ip: 127.0.0.1

But that failed when I started starting bdrb with capistrano because I
couldn't set RAILS_ENV (have to run bdrb sudo -u nobody). So my solution was
to create config files for each environment that are symlinked into the new
cap-created directory.

I'd agree that setting RAILS_ENV is unoptimal. It does really unexpected
things if you're relying on RAILS_ENV after starting bdrb.