[Backgroundrb-devel] configuration issues

George Feil gfeil at realgirlsmedia.com
Wed Feb 6 19:39:08 EST 2008

In the process of integrating BackgrounDRb into my company's CRM
application for our web site, I have run against two roadblocks in
configuration that required my actually modifying the BackgrounDRb
source code to work around:

1.	The MasterProxy class overrides the RAILS_ENV settings with the
settings in the backgroundrb.yml, or sets the environment to
"development" if not set. This makes it impossible to allow the server
to run in multiple configuration environments (e.g. staging and
production, for example). In my opinion, it would be best to have
MasterProxy rely solely on the current setting of RAILS_ENV, and never
override it under any circumstances.
2.	DebugMaster supports only logging options: log to files with
hard-coded names, or log to stdout. In our clustered production
environment, we use SyslogLogger to send all logging messages to a
remote server, in order to maintain logs for all our servers in one
place. There appears to be no way to do this in BackgrounDRb without
modifying the behavior of DebugMaster.

Apart from these two issues, this is a great tool for asynchronous
processing. Thanks!

George Feil | Senior Software Engineer

www.realgirlsmedia.com

www.divinecaroline.com