[Backgroundrb-devel] Best way to organize workers

Scott Ward scott at shefield.com
Mon Feb 4 14:07:20 EST 2008

Hello,

I have a few tasks that run every few minutes.  They definitely need their
own worker.

However, other tasks run once per day or even once per week.  Right now I am
creating a new worker for each of these tasks, but I wonder if that's
unnecessary for tasks that I know will never execute at the same time.  They
don't need to run concurrently.

Basically, I am wondering if I should combine a bunch of these periodic,
non-overlapping tasks into one worker called "general_maintenance_worker" or
something like that.  For each task, I could create a different method and
schedule them as needed in backgroundrb.yml.

That should work, but is it "right"?  What's the "best practice" is in this
situation?

Thanks,

Scott