[Backgroundrb-devel] Multiple worker threads per type per server?

benjamin smith smith.benjamin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 19:36:23 EDT 2008

I've recently integrated backgroundrb into my rails application and I
am very happy with how it is performing. We strictly use the 'enq' job
queuing functionality and it works well for us. We have 2 clustered
web/app servers, both of which backgroundrb is running on. When
starting up backgroundrb, it looks for all the workers classes in the
default location (lib/workers), and starts up a packet worker for

However, I am not clear on how to spin up multiple instances of a
worker on the same machine. One type of worker is very taxed and I'd
like to create several of him to facilitate processing queue contents
quicker. The documents seem to suggest using MiddleMan.new_worker, but
this has not worked well for me. I'm able to get the middleman to
create a new worker instance, but it doesn't do any work to pull tasks
out of the queue.

How do you recommend I spin up multiples of one type of worker on one
machine for parallel processing of a job queue?

Thanks in advance,
Benjamin Smith