[Backgroundrb-devel] Managing with multiple worker and processor load

Cédric akyrho at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 04:38:40 EDT 2008

I wonder how to manage with multiple workers and processor's charges. Here's
the case :

There are two processes. The first is scanning web pages in order to find
some flash movies. If found, the process scan also for title, tags, and so
on. This process is called "crawler" and is running permanently.

In my model, the method "after_create" is calling another worker, which
receive some URL(s). The worker imports the given JPG image, crops it, and
saves it localy.

Thus, things could happen like this : the crawler is scanning a lot of web
pages, importing a lot of flash movies, which are starting the second worker
for something like 30 pictures to crop... each... And my computer is

In the docs, i read something about queuing job, but i must confess i didn't
understand everything.

Any help would be appreciate.

Code :
[1] videothumbnailer_worker : http://pastie.org/255529