[Backgroundrb-devel] purpose of delayed persistent jobs

Todd Tyree todd at snappl.co.uk
Sun Aug 17 10:13:12 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 4:14 AM, hemant <gethemant at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 12:50 AM, Woody Peterson
> what would be an
> > example of something that benefits from this model of delayed
> > database-backed jobs?
>
> Something thats super critical, shouldn't be lost if backgroundrb
> server crashes or anything like that. Can be run manually if that
> kinda thing happens.

I've forked the main repository here:

git://github.com/tatyree/backgroundrb.git

and made a couple of changes to make the job_queue consume all outstanding
jobs at once, which is what I understand Woody to be commenting on (and
something I've needed for a while).

I'm afraid I've got a conflict on the specs as I have a hard dependency on
Rspec's internal mocks, and so I'm having some trouble making the specs run
in my environment (mocha just causes everything to fall apart badly, which
is ashame).  As a result, I'm afraid the level of testing is a little (OK,
completely...it works for me) unsophisticated.  That said, I'm pretty new to
Rspec, and am probably missing/misunderstanding something.

I started to re-add the test for RAILS_ENV that KieranP removed ( Line 27 of
bdrb_config.rb -  Object.const_set("RAILS_ENV",environment) unless
defined?(RAILS_ENV) ) as bdrb complains on startup without it.  However, I'm
not at all clear why he removed it so I decided to leave it alone.

Hope I've done everything all right.  I'm new to Git and Rspec, but not new
to development or Rails.

Best,
Todd