[Backgroundrb-devel] enqueued job polling configurability

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Thu Aug 14 18:12:59 EDT 2008

> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 7:10 AM, Woody Peterson
> <woody at crystalcommerce.com <mailto:woody at crystalcommerce.com>> wrote:
>     I don't know if this is where I should be submitting patches, but
>     it's also an idea/feature request, or something.
>     It bugs me that every worker polls the database every 5 seconds -
>     If I wanted something done quickly, I'd just call it with the
>     async prefix, no? If I'm willing to offload it to 5 seconds later,
>     maybe I'm willing to let it sit for 10, 20, maybe a full minute
>     before being run. Anyways, this would make that configurable.

What needs to be changed with the queries to ensure they drop into query

I think the rough rules for mysql are:

- any updates/deletes/inserts on that table trash the entire cache
(separate status updates into a separate table if these cause query
cache to be purged too regularly)
- no column level privs or caching is bypassed
- no queries with volatile functions, eg "NOW()"

Possibly the database cost is extremely small if it can regularly hit
the query cache?

Ed W