[Backgroundrb-devel] Using Backgroundrb?

Stevie Clifton stevie at animoto.com
Wed Apr 23 12:14:24 EDT 2008

Hey Julien/Adam,

There was a great thread about a similar situation about 10 days ago.
Check it out here:
http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/backgroundrb-devel/2008-April/001681.html

Julien, you definitely don't want a worker for each feed, and you'll
want to use thread_pool.defer, which will allow you to concurrently
process as many feeds as you want (or as many as your system can
handle).  From what you've said, it sounds like you'll only need one
worker coded up, but probably set multiple periodic timers (e.g one of
hourly parsing of high-priority feeds, one for nightlies, etc). The
method you specify in the periodic timer should use thread_pool.defer
to handle processing of multiple feeds at a time -- there's no reason
to do them sequentially.

stevie