[Backgroundrb-devel] Cutting down BackgrounDRb memory issue

hemant gethemant at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 16:06:52 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 10:59 PM, Brian Morearty <brian at morearty.org> wrote:
> > One option we have is to have "packet_worker_runner" as installed
> executable when user installs packet gem.
> The more I think about the idea of a packet runner, the more I like it.
> One reason I like it: it solves a problem with the Windows port I wrote. The
> Windows implementation needs to know what process to launch to create a new
> worker. It currently relaunches PACKET_APP, but I was concerned that might
> be a misuse of PACKET_APP and it forces the author of a PACKET_APP to
> implement code like what I wrote in script/backgroundrb to handle a "worker
> parameter. If there's a separate app whose only purpose in life is to be the
> runner, no one else has to write code to handle those parameters.

Just a quick update. I have updated both BackgrounDRb and packet with
new changes of fork, exec and runner binaries.I will start merging
your changes and making it run on Windows sometime tomorrow.
Also, this is our opportunity to have 100% test case coverage of
BackgrounDRb. If you can be online on IRC tomorrow, it will be
awesome. Time is around 19th April, 18.23 UTC.