[Backgroundrb-devel] Cutting down BackgrounDRb memory issue

Brian Morearty brian at morearty.org
Tue Apr 15 13:29:22 EDT 2008

> One option we have is to have "packet_worker_runner" as installed
executable when user installs packet gem.

The more I think about the idea of a packet runner, the more I like it.

One reason I like it: it solves a problem with the Windows port I wrote. The
Windows implementation needs to know what process to launch to create a new
worker. It currently relaunches PACKET_APP, but I was concerned that might
be a misuse of PACKET_APP and it forces the author of a PACKET_APP to
implement code like what I wrote in script/backgroundrb to handle a "worker
parameter. If there's a separate app whose only purpose in life is to be the
runner, no one else has to write code to handle those parameters.

- Brian