[Backgroundrb-devel] Sequence of multiple background process submissions

Ryan Leavengood leavengood at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 02:30:16 EDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 1:57 AM, Raghu Srinivasan
<raghu.srinivasan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On my site, a user enters an RSS feed to be processed and since this takes
> about 5-10 secs, I pass the process off to a background job and meanwhile do
> some Ajaxy spinners and tap-dancing until the job completes and then
> redirect_to the appropriate page. This works great.

Tap-dancing, LOL. I love that.

> Next, is there a way around this? Can I have 2 threads/processes/ports/etc
> for Bdrb so that the batch job doesn't interfere with a live user's
> experience. Or any other workaround for this? Right now if the web user
> comes along when 50 jobs are left and each job takes 10 secs, then he has a
> nearly 10 minute wait, which sucks.

In my opinion you should always separate scheduled long running
processes from user spawned ones. What I would do in this case is
extract the common RSS processing functionality into a class in your
Rails lib directory, then create two different BackgrounDRb workers
that make use of that class. One would be UserRSSWorker and the other
could be ScheduledRSSWorker. The first should only be used for user
requests (and in addition you should use thread_pool.defer to allow
multiple requests at once, which also might solve your original
problem with one worker) and the other can be set up on your schedule.
Also I am not sure how to do it offhand, but you should try to set up
the ScheduledRSSWorker so that BackgrounDRb instantiates it fresh to
run and then kills it once it is done, since you don't need it sitting
around all day doing nothing.

But as I said above in parenthesis in general if you want a worker to
be able to handle many jobs at once, use thread_pool.defer. Be sure to
read the documentation because since this is threaded code there are
things you need to be careful about.

Ryan