[Backgroundrb-devel] Need advice - which version to use?

Bill Walton bill.walton at charter.net
Wed Oct 24 11:35:37 EDT 2007

hemant wrote:

> Do you need to trigger this check from rails? If yes ( as i think, you
> want this), then please evaluate trunk of backgroundrb. It should
> work.

I'm not an infrastructure-type guy.  Don't know much at all about the issues
/ implications of single-process/multi-threaded vs.
multi-process/single-threaded choice the two versions of BackgrounDrb put in
front of me.  I sure could use some advice on the pros / cons of each.

Our current environment is 4 app servers (dual processor, 4GB) with each
running Rails and a 60-mongrel cluster, hardware loadbalancers in front
them, Apache / HAproxy in front of the mongrels.  All 4 talk to a MySQL
cluster running on separate hardware.  Session store is ActiveRecord.

Any thoughts re: pros/cons of the two architectures would really be
appreciated.

> As for Jruby compatibility, I can't comment on that, I currently have
> little plans of porting it to jruby.

Skaar's comment was that trunk will definitely not work on JRuby.  Slave
will have to be re-written.  He said that the old version might work.  I
haven't tested it yet.  In either event, if we (the company I work for) need
to make mods to use either version of BackgrounDrb on JRuby in the future,
I'm pretty sure we'll be able / willing to contribute it back.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks,
Bill