[Backgroundrb-devel] Need advice - which version to use?

Bill Walton bill.walton at charter.net
Wed Oct 24 10:31:17 EDT 2007

Hi hemant,

hemant wrote:

> On 10/24/07, Bill Walton <bill.walton at charter.net> wrote:
> >
> > Anybody got any thoughts to share on the pros and cons of either version
of
> > BackgrounDrb for this?
> >

> Although you can try the trunk version of BackgroundDrb, which works
> most of the time. I will be putting a new version of BackgroundDrb up
> on this weekend, so watchout.

I should have mentioned another component of the decision I'm facing ....

Our current deployment is ruby / mongrel cluster but we hope / plan to move
to JRuby / JBoss in the near future.  (That was our initial rollout but
experience showed that our infrastructure team wasn't staffed / tooled to
support it, so we had to roll back to our current deployment).

I just had an IRC chat with Skaar on the jruby channel and he says trunk
won't work with jruby.  He says the old version might, and he says that your
upcoming implementation might be even better suited to jruby.  My needs for
BackgrounDrb are pretty simple at this point:  just periodically checking a
session variable to see if it's been updated.  I need to do my best to make
sure that whatever I do on this front doesn't have a negative impact on our
move to JRuby.  Would definitely appreciate any thoughts you'd be willing to
share on this front.

Thanks,
Bill