[Backgroundrb-devel] Backgroundrb with Load Balancing Rails engines

hemant gethemant at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 07:43:55 EST 2007

On Nov 16, 2007 6:16 PM, Emil Marceta <emarceta at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
> We run several (3-4) Rails servers behind the reverse proxy / load
> balancing web server serving the  single application. All Rails
> instances share the same database and use the database as a session
> storage. Memcached is also part of the picture.
> I'm looking into using Backgroundrb for some large uploads / parsing
> task that provide progress status updates (via ajax calls). Bdrb would
> run on each Rails server using drbunix (domain sockets) and not on the
> dedicated / shared Bdrb server.

Any reasons, to not run bdrb server centrally? Guaranteed, you get the
failover measures and stuff,
but any other reasons?

> In this scenario it is not known in which Rails engine will the status
> update request land. It may or may not hit the engine where the Bdrb
> worker has been created( we don't plan for session affinity nor
> anything similar). As mentioned earlier the only shared component is
> the database, and I was planning to introduce a 'background_jobs'
> table - keyed with the worker key and storing the key in the session.
> In addition to the worker key the table would have a blob data where
> the updates are stored. Then the MiddleMan is basically used only for
> starting the job and  the results could be read by any engine.
> This looks to me as a fairly 'generic' requirement and I was wandering
> whether someone had a similar requirement and what approach was taken,
> whether there is something that is part of the framework already. Also
> any comments / suggestions are much appreciated.

Ok, Are you aware of the new version of bdrb? Its a complete rewrite.
I would advise, you to checkout new version and implement your project on
top of it.

In  new bdrb, master process is nothing but a tcp server and hence you can
connect from any of the machines in your cluster.

checkout the code from here:

go through the read file, it should be suffice to get started.