[Backgroundrb-devel] BackgrounDRb version 1.0RC1 available now

Brandon Keepers brandon at opensoul.org
Wed Nov 14 09:27:22 EST 2007

On Nov 14, 2007, at 8:55 AM, hemant wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2007 6:50 PM, Wood, Peter <p.wood at lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Heya all,
>> A coworker and I have checked out the new version of BackgrounDRb in
>> order to build one of our latest projects, so far we've just tried to
>> replicate some of the functionality we had when testing the old trunk
>> version.
>> I may be missing something obvious, but from the code it doesn't
>> appear
>> that you can set off multiple copies of the same worker like you
>> could
>> in the old trunk version. We intend to use BackgrounDRb to set off
>> snmp
>> scans of various devices on our network, some of which take some
>> time to
>> complete. It is likely that this will happen more than once at any
>> particular moment in time.
>> At the moment, using the sample code we've moved the reply to the
>> MiddleMan to before the work, therefore actually letting the calling
>> application carry on (which is what we need). However a second call
>> the same worker obviously hangs until the first call has completed.
>> I think what I'm essentially saying is that we want multiple
>> instances
>> of the same worker which can be identified by a key (as it was in the
>> trunk). Is this possible with the new version of BackgrounDRb, or
>> is it
>> on the map?
> With new version you can't have two instances of a worker active at
> the same time. Although, I do think of having that facility soon, but
> for the time being you will have to put up with writing copies of
> workers. BTW, how many copies do you need and how much time, does
> it take to complete scan of devices on network?

This is a show stopper for me.  The only thing I've ever used
BackgrounDRb for it firing off workers at will to do various
processing tasks, such as transferring large files or transcoding
video.  If I have a quad core CPU, I want 4 instances of the same
worker running in order to take full advantage of the CPU.