[Backgroundrb-devel] BackgrounDRb version 1.0RC1 available now

hemant gethemant at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 09:57:42 EST 2007

On Nov 14, 2007 8:13 PM, hemant <gethemant at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2007 7:57 PM, Brandon Keepers <brandon at opensoul.org> wrote:

> > > With new version you can't have two instances of a worker active at
> > > the same time. Although, I do think of having that facility soon, but
> > > for the time being you will have to put up with writing copies of
> > > workers. BTW, how many copies do you need and how much time, does
> > > it take to complete scan of devices on network?
> >
> > This is a show stopper for me.  The only thing I've ever used
> > BackgrounDRb for it firing off workers at will to do various
> > processing tasks, such as transferring large files or transcoding
> > video.  If I have a quad core CPU, I want 4 instances of the same
> > worker running in order to take full advantage of the CPU.
> >

> Ok, then folks, I will be implementing it. Will be available soonish.

Ok, on second thoughts, I was curious about the fact, that can't you
have 4 different workers running at the same time?
Why you need copies of same workers? I know, you don't have to write
additional worker code, if you use the same worker, but
apart from that what?

You can very well have 4 four workers like:

video_encoder_worker.rb
transfer_data_worker.rb
snmp_scanner_worker.rb
port_scanner_worker.rb

You can very well do, whatever you want inside them. Another question
is, how do you schedule workers ( which are instance of same class?).
You
use cron based scheduling or Scheduling using MiddleMan  or what?

I am not trying to dodge, but just want to understand full use case.

http://gnufied.org