[Backgroundrb-devel] Worker start lag

Danila Ulyanov du at bestwaytech.com
Mon Nov 12 15:31:43 EST 2007

I am trying to use backgroundrb to execute searches that may take a long
time in the background. So a user connects, executes search worker, then
periodically pulls to see if result is available using asynchronous
javascript request. This way a few long searches don't make the site
unusable to rest by freezing up mongrel connections.

Here is the problem - I seem to get a 2-3 second lag from the moment
worker is created and before the worker actually starts running. It's ok
for long searches, but it is very noticeable for short searches, since
it turns 0.3 second searches into 3.3 seconds searches.

Is there anything I can optimize to have workers start faster?

Thanks!

Danila