[Backgroundrb-devel] Recommendations for eternally-running backgroundrb workers?

Jack Nutting jnutting at gmail.com
Tue May 22 06:24:42 EDT 2007

I've got some workers that I want to have running all the time.  Right
now I'm just launching them manually, by requesting a special page in
my rails app that includes lines like:

      MiddleMan.new_worker(:class=> :receiver, :job_key=>:r,

This strikes me as a really weak way to fire up my workers.  I
basically want to automate things so that these will be started by a
script in /etc/rc?.d.  It seems like using the backgroundrb scheduler
is not a possibility, since do_work never returns from my workers
(each of them runs in an infinite loop, polling the database
periodically to look for work).  So it looks like I need another
startup script, running after the rest of the system is up, that does
one of these things:

- use curl or wget to hit my special worker-starting page (how lame is that?)
- pipe my MiddleMan.new_worker calls into a "script/backgroundrb
console" or just "script/console" session (is that any better?)

As you can see, neither of these options seems very appealing to me.
I can't be the first person to do this...  How are others handling

// jack
// http://www.nuthole.com