[Backgroundrb-devel] Need help with singleton worker

Isak Hansen isak.hansen at gmail.com
Wed May 16 04:43:10 EDT 2007

On 5/15/07, Michael Siebert <siebertm85 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> for queueing up work, here is what i use, it runs in its own named worker
> and is very stable. currently, there is only one job at a time, but you
> could also generate two workers so you could process two jobs at a time.

*snipped code where jobs are queued up in the worker*

Interesting approach. I was depending on bdrb itself to take care of
the queueing, but will give this a shot if nothing is changed by the
new release.

> does the list have any improvements or comments?

Hmm.. I'm thinking some kind of synchronization may be neccessary on
the worker's job queue.

Btw.. How does this stuff really work? The worker instance lives in
the bdrb process, while middleman creates a remote-call-somehow-proxy
to that instance for your rails app to use?

Any limitation on argument type(s) for public methods in my worker?
Being serializable is probably a must?