[Backgroundrb-devel] Behaviour of pool_size setting

Christian Schlaefcke cschlaefcke at wms-network.de
Tue May 15 14:37:06 EDT 2007

Hi,

I have backgroundrb running to decouple the execution of massive
business logic from an ActionWebservice request. The service is designed
to take some configuration parameters and fire a lot of background
workers to do the requested work. Due to performance reasons I want to
limit the number of workers to a maximum number of 30. But when I start
a configuration that requires for example 300 worker executions I can
see that the limit of 30 workers is not kept and a number of about 180
worker processes are filling up my process list.

I start my workers like this:

key = MiddleMan.new_worker(:class => :execution_worker, :args => {...some_args...})

Why do I see so much more than my declared number of 30 workers? Am I
wrong somehow? How do I have to understand the behaviour of pool_size?
What happens when I have 30 workers working and the 31st, 32nd, ...,
300th request to start a worker comes in?

Thanks & Regards!

Christian