[Backgroundrb-devel] example code for file upload

Walter McGinnis walter at katipo.co.nz
Fri Mar 30 17:36:20 EDT 2007

On Mar 31, 2007, at 4:00 AM, Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:

> On Mar 29, 2007, at 8:18 PM, Walter McGinnis wrote:
>> I guess I'm looking for answer to how one gets the stream of the
>> uploading file submitted by the user from mongrel to a backgroundrb
>> before the upload actually completes?
> Hey Walter-
> 	You don't. BackgrounDrb cannot handle file uploads. You probably
> want to look at the mongrel_upload_progress gem. Bdrb can do
> progress bars for tasks it runs but the cotnrol flow of http
> requests and rails does not allow you to do anything with the file
> stream until its fully uploaded already so bdrb never has a chance
> to get involved.

That makes sense.  Thanks for clearing that up.  I had already looked
at the doc on the mongrel progress bar gem.  I'll return to it.

My real problem is uploads over crap network connections turning into
CPU eating zombie mongrels.  Man, I love it when geek speak sounds
like a horror movie premise, but in this case it's a real pain.  I
suspect that the solution for that is going to be mongrel based
though.  I'll RTFM over in mongrel doc land, but any hints are