[Backgroundrb-devel] Capistrano Hanging on Deployment

Ben Reubenstein benr at x-cr.com
Mon Mar 12 13:47:22 EDT 2007

Hello ~

I am using the Capistrano recipe outlined in this post to restart my
backgroundrb server:

http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/backgroundrb-devel/2007-February/000718.html

My Version:
~~~~~~~~~~~~
task :before_restart, :roles => :app do
   restart_backgroundrb
end

task :start_backgroundrb, :roles => :app do
   sudo "nohup
/var/www/rails/#{application}/current/script/backgroundrb/start "
end

task :stop_backgroundrb, :roles => :app do
   sudo "kill -9 `cat
/var/www/rails/#{application}/current/log/backgroundrb.pid` 2>/dev/null;
true"
end

task :restart_backgroundrb, :roles => :app do
   stop_backgroundrb
   start_backgroundrb
end
~~~~~~~~~~~~

The backgroundrb server is stopped and started but hangs at the
start_backgroundrb task.  Capistrano shows:

  * executing task start_backgroundrb
  * executing "sudo  nohup
/var/www/rails/*************/current/script/backgroundrb/start"
    servers: ["host"]
    [host] executing command
 ** [out :: host] nohup: ignoring input and appending output to `nohup.out'

It will hang there and not restart the main web app process.  I updated my
gems to see if this was a version issue, but am experiencing the same
problem.  I also tried running this task :after_restart, the web app is
successfully restarted, but it still hangs.

Thanks in advance for any ideas on how to fix this.

~ Ben

--
Ben Reubenstein
303-947-0446