[Backgroundrb-devel] MiddleMan.worker blocks?

Mason Hale masonhale at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 16:46:32 EST 2007

On 3/7/07, Marc Evans <Marc at softwarehackery.com> wrote:

> Notice in the above the "sleep 0.001". Without that sleep, I get the
> blocking behavior I described in the original post. With it, I get the
> behavior I would expect, which is that I can retrieve the progress
> reasonably quickly and repeatedly.
>
> Again, any suggestions?

That is very odd. My gut says it must have something to do with locking
between threads.
I've previously run into thread-related issues around the worker results
feature, finding
that it is unreliable. This smells like a similar problem.

more detail:
http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/backgroundrb-devel/2007-January/000638.html
http://backgroundrb.devjavu.com/projects/backgroundrb/ticket/43

My suggestion would be to store your worker state externally in a database
or other store.

That "sleep 0.0001" works at all is weird, and I'd be hesitant to rely on it
continuing to work.

Mason