[Backgroundrb-devel] BgDRb blocking in ActiveRecord

Michael Siebert info at siebert-wd.de
Mon Mar 5 11:50:28 EST 2007

... damn i alwys forget to send these replies to the list instead
only to the poster... sorry frederick....

Hi again,

possibly I expressed myself badly...
The problem is not that the DB blocks during a query, which is pretty
common, but that it just doesn't return from the AR call. The
worker's just frozen! At least it make me think it is. The last log
entry by that specific worker is from Sunday  1am (GMT+1).
BackgrounDRb just keeps running (there is another worker, not using
AR thats working perfectly), but my mailing worker does not do
anything. No CPU time, so I think it's somewhere in the middle of a
deadlock, but I don't know much about processes and threads.
Do I see it correct that BackgrounDRb scheduling does not call the
method if it didn't return when it's supposed to run again? (I mean,
start foo once an hour, but foo does take longer then an hour today,
does  bgdrb delay the next call?)

i hope someone could help me a little bit with that...

cheers

Am 05.03.2007 um 00:53 schrieb Frederick Cheung:

> The native msyql driver is blocking, and blocks the entire process
> (not just thread) in which it is running for the duration of the
> query. Would this explain what you're seeing ?
>
> Fred
>
> On 4 Mar 2007, at 18:45, Michael Siebert wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I've got a tiny little problem using MySQL-backed ActiveRecord in my
>> worker class. Sometimes it just blocks infinitely when I try to
>> access it. I don't know whether it is in AR itself or in the SQL
>> driver. It just stops doing anything, logging nothing, no exceptions
>> are raised. I don't know if it matters that I call the worker's
>> methods via backgroundrb_schedule.yml.
>>
>> Has anyone experienced a problem alike? Or can you give me a clue
>> what could be wrong?
>>
>> PS: I'm not passing ANY AR objects via DRb
>> -----------------------------
>> Siebert Michael
>> info at siebert-wd.de
>>
>> ---
>>
>> ACHTUNG potenzieller Amokläufer:
>>    spiele Killerspiele (Scarface, GTA, UT)
>>    schaue Horrorfilme (Wrong Turn, Texas Chainsaw Massacre)
>>    höre Musik von Anarchisten und Dunklen (Rammstein, Tote Hosen,
>> Wizo)
>>    höre Nazi-Musik von den Böhsen Onkelz, bin also auch noch Neonazi
>>    war mal auf ner Antifa-Demo
>>    war beim B.U.N.D.
>>    ich mag Ironie

Siebert Michael