[Backgroundrb-devel] nil object / slave server problem

Jack Nutting jnutting at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 11:11:06 EST 2007

I'm just getting started wtih backgroundrb, and unfortunately hit a
snag right away...  I'm running the latest releases of rails,
backgroundrb, slave and daemons.

I created a simple worker class, using the generator, which currently
does nothing but print the arguments that are passed to do_work.  I'm
running backgroundrb using './script/backgroundrb run' so I can watch
the output.  When I try to launch a worker, I get this in the output
(in the shell where the backgroundrb script is running):

The error occurred while evaluating nil.wait - (NoMethodError)

Looking through middleman.rb, I found that this is triggered by the
slave_obj being nil, and see that there's a preceding exception, which
I found in backgroundrb_server.log:

20070305-16:45:38 (2929) failed to find slave socket - (RuntimeError)
20070305-16:45:38 (2929)

FWIW, here's what my backgroundrb.yml looks like:

:rails_env: development
:host: localhost
:port: 2000
   :deny: all
   :allow: localhost
   :order: deny allow

Any ideas?  A misconfiguration on my part, perhaps?

// jack
// http://www.nuthole.com