[Backgroundrb-devel] Debugging Workers

Mikel Lindsaar raasdnil at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 22:25:35 EDT 2007

Hello all,

I just looked through the list and didn't find a good answer to this..
so posting away.

I have some backgorunDRB workers that are all working nicely.  In
fact, I have no problem right now.

But when i was doing the coding, I found a need occasionally to fire
up the debugger and have a look at what was going on inside, but found
no way to do this directly.

Is there a way to run the debugger interactively on a BackgrounDRB task?

My work around was to take the code out of a worker and put it in a
standard class in my lib dir... this works to some extent.

On the other hand, my final implementation has the backgrounDRB worker
not doing a lot of code, as I consider it a bit of a controller in the
MVC view in Rails and instead, all it is doing is directing several
classes and modules to do the hard work.  It just co-ordinates and
runs it all.  So in this case, having a debugger is something that
when you need it, you need it :)

The other option is sprinkling the code with @logger calls... but this
is a hack.  Ideas anyone?

Regards