[Backgroundrb-devel] Two quick questions (future & windows)

Kenneth Kalmer kenneth.kalmer at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 16:46:01 EDT 2007

Howdy all

First off, thanks to Ezra & skaar (and all the other contributors) for
the plugin. It's been a great help the last couple of days.

1. I explored the trac site, and saw that commits recently have been
few and far between. Is the project on the way down or is it a lack of
time and resources? (Between the lines, is the next release gonna
happen and will patches still be excepted?)

2. The Windows issue is a contentious one, not that it bothers me
since our entire dev team in on Linux. On an existing project we are
working with some designers that use Windows, and since the
BackgrounDrb integration into trunk today we've had some issues. Wait
before you throw me with the "it is deprecated"...

2 (cont) I made a mock MiddleMan that doesn't background, but calls
the worker in a blocking fashion. Admittedly this is not the best
move, but a step towards some limited (and I'll keep it at limited)
Windows "compatibility mode". See
http://backgroundrb.devjavu.com/projects/backgroundrb/ticket/42#comment:1
for the patch.

2 (actual question) Will Windows support ever return or are we sending
them packing?

I hope this helps somebody else who has non-core team members that
can't work because their on Windows...

Best

--

Kenneth Kalmer