[Backgroundrb-devel] smtp timeout failures

Justin Garten jgarten at postful-inc.com
Mon Jun 11 17:55:40 EDT 2007

Hi.

I'm using backgroundrb to, in part, wrap smtp transactions made through
actionmailer.  The problem is that when smtp fails with a timeout error, the
worker simply stops at that point.

No exception is returned. I've tried wrapping this call in a begin...rescue
block but no exception seems to be making it back to the worker (other
methods are correctly passing exceptions to the worker).

I've tested to see if this is an issue of the delay prior to the exception
being thrown by creating a method that sleeps prior to throwing an exception
but this is passed through and caught without issue.

When I generate smtp timeout errors in console, I receive the exception
normally.  I'm trying to figure out what could be different about the
combination of backgroundrb and actionmailer.

If anyone has suggestions for what else I can try in testing this or has
experience with this, I'd very much appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance!

-Justin