[Backgroundrb-devel] Server dying with perpetual "Connection reset by peer"

Daniel Azuma dazuma at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Jul 30 17:26:49 EDT 2007

On 30 Jul, 2007, at 08:06, Mason Hale wrote:

> On 7/29/07, Daniel Azuma <dazuma at alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:
>> This appears to be the same issue that Peer Allan observed back in
>> May-- in that case the workers were triggered on a schedule, but in
>> my case it is triggered via a remote MiddleMan.
>
> By "triggered via a remote MiddleMan" do you mean that one
> backgroundrb worker is spawning additional workers? If so, then
> that could be the problem. I had a lot of connection reset by peer
> errors when trying to spawn workers from other workers.

Sorry, I didn't give a very clear description. All I meant was that
I'm not using the scheduler (which other people seem to be having
trouble with). I'm simply using MiddleMan from rails and spawning
workers that way, not trying to spawn workers from other workers. I
merely want to use backgroundrb to detach certain jobs from the HTTP
request and run them asynchronously.

> If not, are you using Unix sockets? I've seen cases where the
> process names become very long, due to the class name and job key
> being concatenated into the process name. If the name is too long,
> then backgroundrb may not be able to locate a matching socket file
> to make the connection. If that might be the case, try shortening
> your class names and/or setting explicit, short jobkeys for your
> worker processes.

I've tried both the drbunix and druby protocols, if that's what
you're asking, and have had the same result with both. (I assume the
difference between them is that the former uses unix sockets whereas
the latter uses ip?) However, I'll look into the process names
anyway. Thanks.

Daniel