[Backgroundrb-devel] loading C extension in worker causes bus error on OS X only

Patrick Crosby patrick at xblabs.com
Mon Jan 29 16:33:21 EST 2007

In all likelihood, this doesn't have anything to do with backgroundrb,
but I'm stuck so I thought someone might be able to help.

I have a pretty simple C extension that I built into a gem and have
installed on my system.  It works fine when required from rails
(1.2.1).

But when I have a Backgroundrb worker class use the extension (under
os x), I get:

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/opalfx-0.1.1582/lib/ofx_helper.bundle:
[BUG] Bus Error
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i686-darwin8.8.1]

(That's the right version of ruby).

I've tried all kinds of stuff.  I installed a trace function, but it's
crashing on the require statement.

Trying to isolate the problem, even using irb, it gets a bus error (so
definitely not backgroundrb's fault).  I tried it on a linux server
(through irb) and it worked fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

patrick