[Backgroundrb-devel] rails_env configuration conflict...

Brett Walker lapomme00 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 22:52:30 EST 2007

I've found a conflict in the way the configuration file is handled, in
particular effecting the setting of the ENV['RAILS_ENV'] value.

When I attempted to run a worker in production, it would run fine the
first time - the second time would fail because it was trying to
access the development database.

I had created a 'backgroundrb_prodcution.yml' file that I was passing
in when starting up backgroundrb.  Setting the ENV['RAILS_ENV'] to
production didn't help.

In BackgrounDRb::Config, it set the ENV['RAILS_ENV'] to the value
:rails_env value in the config file, and defaults to development.

What seems to be happening is that when the Rails environment is
getting loaded for a new worker (I guess after the first time), then
BackgrounDRb::Config class gets executed.  The config file doesn't
seem to be specified - so it defaults to reading the default
backgroundrb.yml file, which sets the :rails_env to development.

If I remove the :rails_env line from the backgroundrb.yml file, and
set RAILS_ENV when I start backgroundrb, it works.

Not sure how to fix the problem in general.

Cheers,
Brett