[Backgroundrb-devel] Getting results from a dead worker. example?

Ezra Zygmuntowicz ezmobius at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 14:03:42 EST 2007

On Jan 23, 2007, at 3:19 AM, Tomasz Kaye wrote:

> I'm having a little difficulty understanding how to retrieve results
> from deceased workers (from the documentation it seems that it is
> possible to do this).
> I pasted my simple test below. If anyone could point out what i
> should be doing differently i'd be very grateful.
> My test worker:
> class TestWorker < BackgrounDRb::Worker::RailsBase
>    def do_work(args)
>      results[:done_with_do_work] = true
>      self.delete
>    end
> end
> TestWorker.register
> My rake task:
> task :tester => :environment do
>    k=MiddleMan.new_worker(
>    :class => :test_worker
>    )
>    sleep 1 # the worker will die during this pause
> # next line gives a nil object error
> puts "done_with_do_work=#{MiddleMan.worker(k).results
> [:done_with_do_work]||"not available"}"
> end

	I am thinking about changing the way we store results. I think it
might make a lot more sense to use a database table for results. The
Results worker has been problematic.

	So for now I suggest storing any results you need in a db table and
get the results in rails from said table. I hope to have some time
soon to work on this but I am pretty busy at the moment.

-- Ezra Zygmuntowicz
-- Lead Rails Evangelist
-- ez at engineyard.com
-- Engine Yard, Serious Rails Hosting