[Backgroundrb-devel] accessing controller methods from backgreoundrb

Daniel Greig dgreig at magian.com
Wed Feb 21 17:10:08 EST 2007

Hi all,

I am trying to use backgroundrb to cache a set of controller actions
that are quite processor expensive (there is some pretty heavy xml
processing going on). In my rails app I have page caching set up to
observe the appropriate controllers and models and all works well.
However when model changes occur in a backgroundrb process the cache
sweeper isn't notified of the changes (and consequently the cache isn't
updated).  I assume this is because backgroundrb doesn't have access to
the controller and view layers?

Is it possible to trigger the normal rails cache sweepers from
backgroundrb somehow, or, is it possible to gain access to controller
methods so that I can use render_to_string and save the output of that
action to a file and create the cached files manually? Either option
should get me back on track.

A final note - the rails application I'm working on needs to be hosted
on a windows machine, so I'm stuck using the earlier version of
backgroundrb for the time being.

thanks,

Dan