[Backgroundrb-devel] Starting / stopping background rb when apache starts/stops

Marc Evans Marc at SoftwareHackery.Com
Fri Feb 16 11:15:05 EST 2007

Hello -

I would like to figure out a way to have backgroundrb start/stop with the
same UID that dispatch.fcgi uses, at the same point in time that apache is
started/stopped. I see a technique that seems plausable in this archive

which addresses the starting aspect, in a lazy fashion. That seems fine,
particularly given it's resilience to unexpected terminations of the
backgroundrb processes.

What I have not seen any discussion of is how to insure that backgroundrb
is terminated (ideally cleanly) at the point in time that apache (or
whatever web server you use) is terminated. In other words, I am hoping to
use "apachectl {start|stop}" to control dispatch.fcgi and backgroundrb.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance - Marc