[Backgroundrb-devel] Backgroundrb-devel Digest, Vol 9, Issue 1

Stephen Weiss sweiss at stylesight.com
Sat Feb 3 17:51:39 EST 2007

Hi Bill,

I have "version 1" backgroundrb running on my development server with
rails 1.2.1, with no issues (other than the left over DB connections
blocking up my MySQL server, which isn't exactly a new problem).
Going to move production servers to rails 1.2.1 very soon, I'll post
back if there's any trouble.

Still would *really* like to get version 2 running though!  Having a
production system where I have to restart a process every couple
hours is definitely *not* ideal but backgroundrb 2 is still
completely unworkable for me.  It still seg-faults every time I try
to start a worker for the 2nd time (malloc error in drb.rb).  Still
can't get anything queue-based working because any call to
worker_thread fails (nil:NilClass errors, totally following the docs
and nothing...).  This all on top of the fact that results worker
doesn't really seem to hold any results.  I've rewritten my software
8 different ways and no luck.

I read that some people actually managed to get version 2 to work in
production, I'd really love to know how.  Has anyone gotten it to
work successfully on Mac OS X 10.4, server or client, or anything
close?  I feel like it's gotta be something with gcc 4.x or the 64-
bit-ness or ruby 1.8.5 or something, there are scattered clues all
over google, but everything else on the system runs so well I'm
really nervous to spend days recompiling everything down to 1.8.2/gcc
3.3 just to find out that everything else is broken but backgroundrb
works fine.

What really confuses me is I see very little chatter about these
problems on the list or when searching the web, but I seriously can
install a completely new 10.4 system, fresh ruby/rails/everything
compiled from scratch, make a totally new Rails program, and plug in
a worker straight from the examples that come with bgrb-2, and so
help me when you run that worker the second time, it always seg-
faults!  Intel or PPC, server or client version, no difference!  Just
how does anyone with OS X get this running?

Really, any advice at all...  if someone with Mac OS X 10.4 has
gotten version 2 to work, and you could just post all the version
numbers on the gcc, ruby, etc that you use with it, my database, my
users and I would be so very grateful.

On Feb 3, 2007, at 1:33 PM, backgroundrb-devel-request at rubyforge.org