[Backgroundrb-devel] Release tags in SVN?

hemant gethemant at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 00:35:01 EST 2007

On Dec 16, 2007 6:25 AM, Joe Van Dyk <joevandyk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On the version control topic, has anyone considered using git to
> manage the source code for bdrb?  Rubinius is using it and it seems to
> be working great for them.  I think git has huge promise especially
> for open source projects.  Could keep up a svn mirror for people who
> don't want things to change, I suppose.

Yes..git is awesome, but I think, people will have trouble managing
their rails plugins using git.
There are couple of reasosns:

1. piston and ./script/plugin would freakout.
2. Generally git is not easy.

> On Dec 15, 2007 2:50 PM, John O'Shea <joshea at nooked.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >         Im just wondering what strategy I should use for checking out from
> > your repo.  I've seen posts here announcing BackrounDRb 1.0 RC 2, 1.0
> > but I don't see any tags in the repo for these releases - I only see
> > two old tags (release-0.2.0 & release-0.2.1).   I'm assuming the HEAD
> > code might be a bit unstable at times so should I use timestamps for
> > checking out/exporting?
> >         If so can anyone advise of the correct timestamps or revision numbers
> > for the most recent release?  Or better still, could someone
> > retrospectively apply tags to the correct revision number(s)?

Yes.. I have been careless about this in past and would certainly
start tagging releases. 1.0 is coming fast with some additional
bug fixes, more examples, documentation and stuff. I would start
tagging releases then onwards.