[Backgroundrb-devel] 1) Error 2) sending request to a specific worker

hemant gethemant at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 00:30:50 EST 2007

On Dec 16, 2007 4:42 AM, Mickael Faivre-Macon <faivrem at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi hemant,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> The reason why I don't see the advantage to let the worker start wiht
> bdrb may be related to my understanding of how it works, and
> specifically to my question about keys and specific worker instances.
>
> I am using bdrb to keeps connections to a XMPP (Jabber) server, while
> Rails renders the UI (web based chat application). So the way I see
> it, is that there is only one :xmpp_worker class but several instances
> of that class running, each with a specific login and connection to
> the Jabber server.
>
> That's why I am launching a new :xmpp_worker (for each chat user).
> And that's why I need to know how to send_request (or ask_work) to a
> specific worker instance. I thought it could be done with the concept
> of keys.

yes you can use job keys for that. However I am curious about the fact
that, if you have 100 concurrent users, you are going to have 100
parallel workers running for each user? Is that what you want?

> Is that the right way of doing things ?
> How would you do it ?

I am cooking a smallish worker with detailed explanation on how to
handle multiple XMPP clients from one instance of backgroundrb.

http://gnufied.org