[Backgroundrb-devel] "interning empty string - (ArgumentError)" passing AR objects between workers

Yves-Eric Martin yem_backgroundrb-devel at filter.yve.net
Wed Aug 22 22:48:10 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I need some help with this setup I am trying to get working with

An autostarted "dispatcher" worker runs every minute and polls some
table for jobs that need to be run at that time. For each job found, the
"dispatcher" spawns a "runner" worker that runs the job. So in my
"dispatcher" worker, I have some code like this:

     MiddleMan.new_worker(:class => :runner_worker, :args => job)

I did add "include DRbUndumped" in my Job model, and it works fine
directly from the console. But from the "dispatcher" worker, I get the
following error (see full traceback attached):

     "interning empty string - (ArgumentError)"

How can I get this to work? Is this a known bug? Or is what I am trying
to do (spawning workers from a worker) not supported? Thanks for your help.

PS: Looks like my 1st message didn't make it through. Sorry if this
becomes a double-post.

Yves-Eric Martin