[Backgroundrb-devel] "interning empty string - (ArgumentError)" passing AR objects between workers

Yves-Eric Martin yem_backgroundrb-devel at filter.yve.net
Wed Aug 22 22:48:10 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I need some help with this setup I am trying to get working with
BackgrounDRb:

An autostarted "dispatcher" worker runs every minute and polls some
table for jobs that need to be run at that time. For each job found, the
"dispatcher" spawns a "runner" worker that runs the job. So in my
"dispatcher" worker, I have some code like this:

     MiddleMan.new_worker(:class => :runner_worker, :args => job)

I did add "include DRbUndumped" in my Job model, and it works fine
directly from the console. But from the "dispatcher" worker, I get the
following error (see full traceback attached):

     "interning empty string - (ArgumentError)"

How can I get this to work? Is this a known bug? Or is what I am trying
to do (spawning workers from a worker) not supported? Thanks for your help.

PS: Looks like my 1st message didn't make it through. Sorry if this
becomes a double-post.

--
Yves-Eric Martin