[Backgroundrb-devel] stability of using scheduled workers

Ben Reubenstein benr at x-cr.com
Fri Aug 3 12:29:18 EDT 2007

Hello ~

I have found that a much better way to do scheduled tasks is to use
script/runner with crontab or cron.  You then get access to your
entire rails environment very easily.  So for example in crontab I
have a task that runs every half-hour:

0,30 * * * * ruby /path/to/script/runner 'load "/path/to/your/script/my.rb"'

I do however use backgroundrb for user initiated tasks such as
processing a file and sending updates to the browser.  I have found
this to be extremely reliable.

Hope this helps,

Ben

On 8/1/07, simon.wilkinson at 434wireless.com
<simon.wilkinson at 434wireless.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Going through the archive, and just keeping a general watch on this list seems to indicate that there are some issues using scheduling with backgroundrb.  I need a worker that will perform some actions on an hourly interval.  These actions will require access to several of the models in my application.  I am currently using backgroundrb to handle processing of files, where I spawn a worker to handle each file, and then destroy them afterwards.  This is working great, and I would like to use backgroundrb for this scheduled action, but I need it to be reliable.
>
> What is the general feeling among those that are using it for this type of application?  Does it reliably continue to fire at the proper intervals?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Simon

Ben Reubenstein
303-947-0446