[Backgroundrb-devel] stability of using scheduled workers

Levent Ali levent at leventali.com
Thu Aug 2 04:16:02 EDT 2007

To be honest... My answer would be no...

We have two scheduled workers that run hourly and are offset by thirty
minutes... We cannot get the scheduler to go 24 hours without skipping
a few schedules.  That's if we are lucky.  Usually it runs for at most
a day and then never schedules again.

I think it may have something to do with the scheduler code that
sleeps for 0.1.  There's a comment in the code near it.  I'm thinking
it may get into a rhythm where it misses the schedule point.  We tried
changing the schedule to prime numbers and other random points but the
same thing eventually happened.

What we do now instead is use standard linux cron and that calls a
rake task that spawns a backgroundrb worker.  Everything outside of
the scheduler function works like a dream for us.

Hope that helps..
Levent

On 8/1/07, simon.wilkinson at 434wireless.com