[Backgroundrb-devel] [BUG] worker stopping abruptly

Mason Hale masonhale at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 19:29:25 EDT 2007

On 4/18/07, hemant <gethemant at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/18/07, Mason Hale <masonhale at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Try running the backgroundrb server in the foreground, this may show
> some
> > messages that are not making to the logs.
> >
> > Start it with:  ./script/backgroundrb run
> > instead of: ./script/backgroundrb start
> >
> > Mason
>
> Mason, how would that help? And as is turns out, I have remote access
> to the machine and bug appears only after running for a full day!!
>
> So, I can't possibly run a SSH session for that much time.

What's with the extra exclamation points?
I'm just making a suggestion that could help you see error messages that
won't make it the error logs.

This is how I found a bus error when tracking down a previous issue I was
encountering in backgroundrb:
http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/backgroundrb-devel/2006-December/000594.html

What I saw was similar to what you are seeing (a script stopping mid-run
with no logging and no exception thrown), but in my case it would happen
immediately. (My issue by the way had to do with loading the postgres native
driver on Mac OS X).

You might be able to run backgroundrb in the 'foreground' using nohup, and
then save the std output to a file, ex:

nohup ./script/backgroundrb run > testrun.log &2>1

The nohup command should prevent your command from terminating when you
disconnect from the ssh terminal.

Mason